Sep 1, 2015

Original Letter Sent March 2011

Dear ______,

A few years ago I started reflecting on my career and of all the Canadian Photographers, Photojournalists, and Photo Editors that had influenced my work and my life. Some I worked with for many years, some I rubbed shoulders with, others I have yet to meet. I might have been inspired by their work or advice… or it might have been a simple act of kindness to a young photographer growing up in Toronto.

I edited a long list to 36 names and yours was on it.

Here’s the plan:

Once I hear back from all 36 names, I will compile a geographical list from West to East.
The first person on that list will be sent a case inside which will be a 35mm camera body with one lens. Inside the camera will be 1 roll of Tri-X 36 exposure film. I will also include a long cable release.
I will not include a flash…up to you whether you need one or not.

Your assignment is simple. You are to take a self-portrait using only ONE FRAME. You will NOT WIND THE FILM, just pack up the camera and ship it to the next person on the list. If one person screws up we start over at the beginning, but there’s roughly 1000 years of combined experience among this group…it will work!

The photo MUST be taken by your-self. It can be a head-shot, a full body shot, but it’s got to be clean…no private parts please!!!

Once the last person on the list has finished, the camera will be returned and I will process the film. Remember that your position on the list only relates to where you live, but I can tell you the 37th FRAME is reserved for the memory of Frank Lennon from the Toronto Star. I’ll figure out what to do about that when the time comes.

This is a celebration of Life, of Film, of Analogue and a tribute to those who were and remain an important part of my past and where I end up as a photographer in the years to come.
The end result will be something extremely unique that could never and will never again be replicated: Self-portraits of some of the top names in Canadian Photography and Photo Editing on one roll of uncut film.

Once everyone has been contacted and all have agreed, then specific information will follow. I would like to finish this by the end of the year.

I would be honoured if you will agree to take part! Please contact me anytime and I’ll be happy to answer any questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment