Dec 13, 2012

Dick Loek gets nervous...

Hey Peter 

Spent some time on the beach in Toronto. The "Banana Belt" is still snow-less but chilly. The Martin Goodman trail in the East End is one of my favourite area's in the city. I spent a lot of time, while working for the Star, jogging along the boardwalk during the early morning watching the season's change. Yesterday morning was overcast with sunny intervals so I thought it would be appropriate to take my portrait with the "Leuty Life Station" in the background.

The weather window was changing so I had to work fast to catch a bit of sun. Dave Ellis, former City Editor at the Star and my cycling buddy, offered to be a stand in. My bike was on stand-by but because of time shortage I ended up just holding my helmet with the mounted GO-PRO. My shirt is from "The Ride To Conquer Cancer", another event close to my heart.

Getting back home you get these terrible thoughts: did I change the exposure when the sun broke through, did I even focus? It's like when you sit in the plane to a far away country and wonder if you locked the front door and turned the stove off. Never realized how critical things get when you only have one frame. I hope I did all those things when I finally sqeezed the bubble. Hope it all worked out.

All the best, Dick


Toronto Star Photographer Dick Loek practices for his shot, the 15th frame on our roll of Tri-X.


Former Toronto Star City Editor Dave Ellis stands in for Dick's test shot down by the Toronto Beaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment